Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Cooked amaranth, cottage cheese, blood orange slices, shredded parmesan, and spinach on wheat bread.


"Daniel - I'm loving these pictures, but I feel I'm sort of left hanging as to the deliciousness factor upon eating. Any failures so far?"





- comment from a friend on FB(where I've been posting these pictures for some time now)

Depends on how you define failure. I've eaten all of them. Some of them I'd make again; some of them I'd make for other people. Others, like this one, were learning experiences. I think I'll use all of the elements of this sandwich again, but in different combinations.

It wasn't a total bust. I was nervous about putting blood orange slices on a sandwich, but excited also. The cottage cheese was ok, but it overpowered the oranges and completely hid the flavor of the amaranth. The oranges I'd use again, but with a different cheese and I think it would go well with a meat (maybe turkey, but in all likelihood I'll use bacon).

Would you try this sammich?

2 comments:

  1. I'd try it, but I like your idea of the meat substitution. Also, what kind of wheat have you been using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. just whatever wheat bread we have in the kitchen, usually Trader Joe's or Kroger's house brands. I'll get more creative with breads and things as days go by.

    ReplyDelete