Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Red and brown tomatoes, sliced-up Korean sesame marinated boneless beef ribs, violet leaves and flowers, and hot & sweet mustard on wheat bread.


This one was delicious!

Athens got a Trader Joe's earlier this year. They are awesome for stocking up on quality basics and there aren't a thousand brands to wade through. I'm once again using their brown tomatoes, this time mixed with some red ones that were still on the stem. The brown ones have great flavor and are a little sweeter than your typical tomato. I could eat tomato sandwiches ever day, but finding decently flavorful tomatoes in the winter is tough. The browns have been consistently good. This is my first time trying the red on-the-stem 'maters from TJ's but they were also delicious. Both are a little more expensive than your typical whatever tomatoes, but having tomatoes worth putting on a sandwich in the winter makes it more than worth it for me.

The meat was also a Trader Joe's purchase. They have nice selection of pre-marinated cuts of meat. This was a Korean style de-boned rib meat. It was sliced super thin and cooked up nicely in no time. Because there are only two of us, I know if I don't cook all the meat in a package at once it is going to end up hidden in the back of the refrigerator until past its prime. This package held a lot more meat than I could have guessed. Being thin, it works great on sandwiches or sliced and topping a salad.

The violets seem like the most improbably addition. I'll discuss them in detail in another post, but in the meantime let me tell you they are delicious. The leaves and the flowers are edible. I'll concede that the leaves actually taste better but there is something nice about edible flowers.

Would you eat this sandwich?

No comments:

Post a Comment