Monday, March 7, 2011

casualty of the storm.



The storms Saturday night battered this trout lily (Erythronium 'Kondo'), breaking its stem and leaving it toppled to the ground.  I only have a very few of these guys planted (five bulbs: one didn't come up, one got decimated by slugs, three thriving), so it normally wouldn't find its way into a vase.  Since the stem was already broken, I grabbed the little guy and put him in the tiny blue Dr. Fisch's Bitters bottle that  lives in the kitchen window over the sink and usually is filled with violets or dandelions.  This bottle, along with its amber colored sibling and a large green one which also live in this window, belonged to my grandmother on my father's side.  I think my grandmother on my mother's side gave me the little felt covered frog sitting beside it.

No comments:

Post a Comment