Thursday, March 3, 2011

Up and coming: Fritillaria meleagris



I'm excited about all the bulbs I've planted, but somehow the guinea-hen flower might strike me as the most whimsical and enchanting. I've certainly seen plenty of pictures of them, but I'm not sure that I've ever seen them in person until now. Well, almost: mine have yet to open, as you can see from the picture. When fully opened, their flowers hang like a bell and are either checkered a purplish brown or are a creamy white. I planted them in various spots around the garden. This was partly an attempt to get them naturalized in different places and partly to protect more delicious bulbs like tulips with their less savory scent. A clump of them right outside the living room window seem to have a head start on everyone else.

I ordered all my bulbs this year from
Brent and Becky's Bulbs and I highly recommend them.

No comments:

Post a Comment